RE: [MV] [MVlist] Re: [MV] Weapon-laden vehicle brings charges for man

From: Gordon W. Bell (bellsurveying@smithville.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 14:37:01 PDT

Rikk,

Thank you, for going to the horse's mouth for the other side of this.

As a collector of HMV's and weapons, In the situation described, I'd be
pretty pissed at the kid for a stupid stunt like that one. The cop should
have taken it a way from her and given her about three rapid but strokes to
the head with it. In today's climate one needs to be careful with anything
that looks like a weapon.

That is why when stopped at night, I always turn the dome light on and put
my hands out the window or on the dash in the winter time. I always make a
point of telling the officer what I am going to do and move like grandma
mosses. I have told them that there is a pistol in the glove box, (prior to
popping it open) "I will show you the concealed carry permit if you'd like,"
and never had a problem. Just try and do everything possible to make sure
that the officer has no cause for alarm.

It is stunts like you describe that gave all of us a bad name. Of course, I
am not sure what the problem was the guy being at the beach (other than the
expired registration)? I've seen some really strange looking vehicles in
public but never really questioned their right to be there. I also got to
wonder about a police officer who even for a short time could have confused
this thing with anything the guard or reserve now uses.

Gordon