Phil's side.

From: Rikk Rogers (rkltd@swbell.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 16:36:22 PDT

I just talked to Phil Roklen, his side is of course, a lot like you would
expect.
They arrested his "Step" Daughter for wiping him off thru the window of the
patrol car, and taking back to the officer when he told her to get away from
the car.
From what Phil said, the reason he did not leave was the fact that he has
lost the canvas cover from the Browning 1919, quote "You know what those
things cost?", and he stopped to go back and look for it.
He said the cuffs were ratcheted down to the last notch, and they left
marks.
He owns 2 M8s, said he had a senior moment and took the one with expired
registration, he said he was wrong in that.
He never got the chance to tell the officer that he had lost a part (the
cover).
He was giving a friend a ride, his wife and step daughter brought the dogs
along in another vehicle to walk them at the beach.

Looking at both sides it comes down to the line from Cool Hand Luke, "What
we have here.... is a failure to communicate....!"

I'm tending to side with Phil on this one, I'm thinking the comment in an
earlier post, that basically said "it's the officers responsibility to keep
control of the situation, with out letting it get out of hand" is true. Its
just a da*n shame that more training is not provided in how to do that AND
keep the publics good will.

The girl did tell the cop to FO, the wife did get hot when she told the cop
Phil had a heart problem, and he did not seem to care.

All in all a bad day for both parties, and not a good one for the hobby.

Rikk Rogers - RK Lion LTD.
416 S 4th St
Ponca City OK. 74601-5335
(580)762-3157 rkltd@swbell.net