Another M109A3 comes home!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 22:21:55 PDT

I'm very happy to announce that I just received a wonderful 1970
Kaiser-Jeep M109A3 2.5-ton 6x6 shop van that I bought from fellow
list-member Bruce Kubu. It's meant to be a replacement for my first
shop van, which needs a lot of cosmetic work (that doesn't necessarily
mean that I'll sell the first one, of course! :-)

If you're curious, I've uploaded some new pictures to my web page,
that a friend of mine took while I unloaded it from the trailer. My
main URL is below in my signature, and here's a short cut to the new
pictures:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck4/pics.html

The arrival and unloading was almost uneventful... the engine switch
was accidentally left on during its cross-country trip, and the
batteries were dead when it arrived. That was no big deal... I just
relocated the unloading point by a mile or so, and jump-started it
with my 5-ton wrecker and a slave cable.

The short drive home from the unloading point was fun and
trouble-free. This truck starts VERY easily, even after sitting for a
week and being jump-started without waiting to charge the dead
batteries first! My first deuce runs and starts well, but it doesn't
start that easily after it's warmed up!

So, I guess I'll need to decide whether I'll sell my first deuce,
convert it to a drop-side cargo truck, keep it as-is, or do something
else. At least I can put off that difficult decision until I've
finished playing swap-the-part between my two shop vans. My first van
has a good engine and drivetrain... it just needs a bunch of cosmetic
work, and replacing it with the new truck should knock a couple years
or so off my camper-conversion project. I'm not too interested in the
paint and body work, but very interested in the conversion work, so
this new truck should let me fast-forward to the fun [for me] part of
the project!

Whenever I buy a new (to me) green truck, I always need to make a list
of the high-priority repairs that I feel the need to do before I
consider it road-worthy. Here's the list for this truck:

1. Recharge or replace batteries.
2. Bleed and/or adjust brakes.
3. Put jack, lug wrench, reflective triangles and fire extinguisher in truck.

THAT'S ALL! Wow. Usually, the list is about a page long!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/