Re: [MV] How to remove undercoating?

From: Everett Doyle (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 05:35:40 PDT

I only know of two ways that work well -- and I am in this business so am
speaking from experience -- a real steam cleaner - as opposed to hot water
washer - to melt undercoat off -- and Kerosene or diesel fuel to dissolve
it -- // these create other problems - what to do with fuel and melted tar
that run off. It takes a lot of fuel to dissolve the stuff and a lot of
steam to melt it so plan on spending a lot of time with this.

Sand blasting is not really effective - material just absorbs sand.

A really high pressure washer 3,000 or so PSI will do some good --hot water
even better but not as good as steam -- be careful of flat surfaces - can
dent panels -- what ever method you use wear eye and skin protection.

Or you can do like military does and just paint over it.

However; you are very correct in wanting to remove it -- undercoating is an
excellent place for rust to start - it will start at a break in the coating
and spread under it unseen until rust is so extensive that panel will fall
off.