Removing paint from Magnesium

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 07:38:38 PDT

Hi all,

Well, this is turning out to be a rather interesting week for me. Up
until now I have just owned Weasels, but that is about to forever change
as OD Disease has struck me in my prime earning years :-) Today I'm
cranking off a check to purchase a M274A4 MULE, Wednesday I am picking up
a (free!!) M37, and Friday my truck, trailer and I are off to Vermont to
pick up Weasel #7 that I bought last week. When it rains, it pours OD :-)

Anyhoo... the paint on the MULE is not in good shape so I need to get off
the old and put on the new. Two questions...

1. What is the best way to remove paint from the Magnesium parts?
Sandblasting doesn't sound like a good idea, plus I really don't have
time to totally strip it down to its component pieces.

2. What is the correct paint for a MULE and where is the best place to
get it? I would prefer spray cans as I haven't bought a compressor yet.

This is not going to be a show vehicle, but I do want it to look nice and
have it be protected from the elements.

Thanks in advance,

Steve