M390C brake adjustment

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 21:03:10 PDT

I am slowwly going insane. The TM refers to a stud and nut on the
outside of the backing plate on this 2 ton axle assembly. There arn't
any studs except for the inside ring that attaches it to the axle. They
are all hex bolt heads, which are all 1/2 inch heads.

There is one large , ie very thick , hex head which according to the
diagram in the TM is essentially a bolt with a very large 5/8 hex head
that passes thru the backing plate with a washer on either side, and
then has a cup type washer which looks like a gearsecured to the end
with washer , lockwasher and nut.

This looks like what I would think was the adjustment cam for the
brakes, but since the TM definetely points elswher, I am hesitant to
mess with it. I really don't want to pull the drums off of this just to
see what's going on.

Any help might preserve what sanity I have left.

Thanks!
Bruce