Re: [MV] Ferret starter problems part duex

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 09:48:06 PDT

You know,

This sounds like the last starter problem I had on my
CHevy truck.

That turned out to be a failure of the field winding
terminals. There is a tab that comes out of the side
of the starter, its copper, but inside its "welded" to
two heavy aluminum leads that make up the field
windings.

One of these had come loose, still in contact, but
only intermittently.

This eventually caused the winding with the good
contact to burn up leaving the other looking new!

Like I said before, check ALL cables and connections,
all the way through. You've obvioulsy checked the
easy ones and haven't found any problem, now you have
to get out the fine toothed comb and the bright light.

I still think you're looking for a connection that
will pass voltage but isn't carrying enough current.

Joe