Re: [MV] Transporting M37

From: Dan Bever (goin_myway@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 15:32:16 PDT

Mark, I don't know if this will help you or not but I
would not recommend flat towing, at least for a long
distance. The axle gears are just geared to low for
highway speeds. (even with the drive shafts pulled)
The tow dollys that you can rent from places like
Ryder or U-Haul are just not heavy duty enought for a
vehicle the size and weight of a M37. Besides I don't
think those places will even rent one to you if they
know what you intend to haul. Most average size car
trailers have a capasity of about 4000 lbs. The M37
weights in at a good 5800 or more lbs. I am not saying
it hasen't been done before but I would venture to
guess that it would be difficult get it set up right
and balance with the tow hitch, trailer, and truck.
Anyhow I think I would look more towards someone with
a heavy duty trailer used to haul heavy equiptment and
the like. Maybe one with a 5th wheel hitch. Or someone
who is making a dry run with a semi-truck. I know the
editor of Military Vehicles Magazine had his M37
transported in that maner from Wisconsin (I think) to
some where in the Northeast (Conn. ?) I believe it
cost him about $600.00. Anyhow I think the
information I have relayed is correct. Some else on
the list might have more knowlege or experence in what
I have relayed. Good Luck.
Dan Bever
MVPA 18507
Indiana MVPA 027