Interesting Conversation with West Haven , CT, Police Department

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 09:06:02 PDT

I just got off the phone with Captain Tom Tranquilly of the West Haven , CT
Police Department.

West Haven is where the fellow with the Greyhound armored vehicle and his
daughter were confronted by police and it turned out that the vehicle was
unregistered, there were heated words, and the situation almost turned terminal.

Captain Tranquilly was responding to an e-mail I had sent regarding the
incident, and gave me an update as to what was happening (basically nothing,
situation is being swept under the carpet for all concerned), and we spoke for a
few minutes regarding MVs and law enforcement.

Having known a number of law enforcement officers, I am of the firm belief that
as long as you don't surprise them, they won't instantly react negatively to the
appearance of MVs. There are many former military folks in police departments,
and they like our big green toys as much as we do, and I believe that it
behooves MV organizations to nurture good relations with the local law
enforcement organizations.

Bottom line, West Haven PD, as well as most Police Departments I've dealt with
support the patriotic display of HMVs, they just don't like being surprised,
and are open to any suggestions as to how best to work with local law
enforcement to reassure the public of the benign nature of HMVs.

Keep 'em Rolling!

Bill