WC 12 Reality check

From: Pete & Renee Davis (pandr@cybertours.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 19:55:45 PDT

I'm looking for advice from fellow esteemed list members....

I have been on the lit for two years now but have never been an MV
owner.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1941 1/2 ton Dodge pickup with no
bed. It has a layer of OD paint, under a layer of fire engine red paint,
under a charming layer of cream with glossy black fenders. It has two
70's vintage vinyl bucket seats. So much for esthetics.

The seller says he has a set of dual rear wheels that came with it.
According to Berndt this is possible. There are also four levers in the
cab. Am I correct in thinking that they are gear shift, transfer case,
parking brake and PTO? The later would explain why a fire department
wanted the truck. Unfortunately, there is no front bumper and I haven't
looked at the transmission yet to see if there is a PTO.

This truck needs a lot of work. Someone dumped dirt in the gas tank and
the fuel line tube is clogged solid. the tank has been "replaced" using
a garden sprayer canister on the passenger side of the cab, connected to
the fuel pump with clear plastic tubing run through the fire wall
without a bushing. The engine starts using the choke cable which is
attached to the passenger door. One rear shock is missing (broken off?).
Driver's window is missing, but the rusty frame is in the floor. The
windshield looks like it's delaminating. There seem to be panels missing
in the floorboards; could they have been wood originally?

Now I realize that this truck will never pass muster at a rally. But
that might just free me from the tyranny of having to do it right. I
could do whatever I damn please. It'll be a fun, go anywhere slowly
truck.

The seller wanted to "Paint it green, put a star and a wooden bed on it
and drive it in the parade". Now he's got other things to do and he's
asking $800 for it.

Now I have to say up front that I have almost no experience working on
old trucks. But this seems like it could be a pretty good place to start
learning the hard way. If I go for it and develop regrets, I can always
sell it again. If I don't go for it and develop regrets, I'll be SOL.

What advice would other folks on the list have to offer?

Pete Davis
pandr@cybertours.com