RE: [MV] Military Vehicle and insurance

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 05:25:05 PDT

Joe,

Just a guess, but I suppose that most of the insurance that they write is
for collector cars. Many of these vehicles are worth quite a lot after they
have been restored. It probably makes sense for the insurance companies to
insist that they be stored indoors. Of course that shouldn't be necessary
for an old M35, or any other fairly common military vehicle, but it's
probably a case of following one set of rules for every policy that they
write, rather than creating a new set of rules for each class of vehicle. My
biggest concern about parking a military vehicle in an unsecured manner is
the possibility that it could be vandalized or parts could be stolen off of
it. After all, there is no really good way to lock the cab, the battery box,
or the engine compartment. I know that it's possible to install chains and
locks and welded doo-dads, but these trucks just weren't designed with
anti-theft measures in mind. Certainly the concern that was expressed about
one being started and left to run over whatever gets in its way is valid.
Something like that seems to happen with construction equipment several
times each year. Personally, I happy that my truck is parked in a secure
location.

My .02 worth. (Minnesota residents please add 6.5% sales tax)

John