Re: [MV] Hydraulics: the movie (longish)

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 04:03:59 PDT

Brian,
point by point,

<<I am hunting for lots of goodies of M211 (g749) wheel
<<cylinders- like 18 or so. Anybody got any kicking
<<around. 29.95 out of Supply line and $39+ from
<<Memphis is painfull when a large number are required.

*try Military Vehicles Magazine, there should be M211 parts dealers in it.

<<Secondly, does anyone know how much horsepower it
<<takes to run a Garwood 10K winch or a Tulsa 30K lb.
<<winch?

That's kind of like asking how tight should I make the doors to make my truck go 50 mph?
Northern Hydraulics/equipment has a great chart in their master catalog that will help you with this. To estimate winch performance, You need to know what line speed maximum, what load you'll be pulling, (lord knows what you do here, as a 10K winch will not lift 10K, just roll it, although I believe that military winches are underated.) You'll also need to figure out what pump size in gpm, and what pressure you'll be operating it at. Don't forget also that you can bolt a winch to things that aren't strong enough for that winch.
I can give you a starting point. I just built a splitter that uses a 28gpm pump set at 2000 psi, and it turns 3600 rpm max. It required the use of an 12 hp gasoline motor to make it max out. Conversion figure is 1 gas horsepower is equal to 2/3 hydraulic motor horsepower. It also says that for best life, a hydraulic motor should be run below 1000 psi. That would seem to double required horsepower, less losses. But it may not be that bad. lets find out:
They list a 1008-C-159 Prince reversing motor that displaces 24.4 inches, runs at 1000 psi, weighs in at 15 pounds, and has a 1 inch shaft with keyway. It sells for $210. It will require a maximum flow rate of 16 GPM. The motor maxes at 1300 psi. and turns at 160 rpm max. It developes 3400 inch pounds of torque. That's about what flow rate my 2 stage 28gpm barnes pump will put out at 2000 rpm. the motor lists for $210.
So,putting this altogether, if you can drive your pump at 2000 rpm off the engine, use the Barnes 28gpm two stage pump, #1058-C169, which has a 5/8ths shaft size, a 1 1/4" inlet, a one inch outlet, weighs a bit over 20 pounds, and can safely run at 3600 rpm max. You'll need a special spool valve with a motor spool w/ open center and hold in neutral, and an adjustable relief valve inside it that can be set for 1300 psi. This comes back to a Northern #2022-C159, at $75.
Keep all pressure lines at 1/2 inch, and all return lines must be large enough to keep motor back pressure below 1000 psi, and a resevoir for your oil of 12 gallons minimum. use a large spin off filter in the return line, and don't forget to provide for a shear pin in the motor drive. You can observe the gear reduction of your winch easily enough, so you should be able to calculate line speed if you know the motor speed. use the two stage pump, as it will allow use of a much smaller pump, and as it bears down on a load, instead of stalling, it will shift internally and pull harder at a lower line speed. It then shifts back automatically.

Since you inquired about horsepower specifically, if you want to start with the rocket science, here's the math:
HP required to run a pump= flow rate in gpm X system pressure in psi all divided by (1714 X pump efficiency in %)
Taking this further,
X = 16gpm x 1000 psi
--------------------
1714 x 85%

or:
X = 16000/1457
X = 10.98 horsepower

if 2/3 hydraulic hp is equal to 1 gasoline horsepower then 10.98/2=5.49, which, when multiplied by 3 = 16.47 gas hp.

That would seem to be well within your engine's parasitic power capabilities. Actual loss will be around 25 hp by the time you factor in belt losses, slippage, and other gremlins.
Go for it!

You can work backwards with that if you like, and just plug in your numbers.
Aren't you glad you asked? LOL!
Seriously, I hope this helps some.
Regards,
Jack