Sticking Brakes, One Reason Poor Rubber Parts in "rebuilts"

From: Surplusyes@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 04:44:15 PDT

   Spent a lot of time trying to determine why the SuperDUKW brakes were hanging up. The brake system on the DUKW is very similar to M series re: Air over Hydraulic. All my lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and Air Pack Booster were all new or rebuilt when installed in Oct 2000 and ran fine until May 2001. Well the sticking seemed to get worse after a parade last week, going from a few seconds to 1/2 hour before they released. After much trouble shooting I determined that it had to be the Master Cylinder, I installed a spare and after taking the original one apart, it appeared that the "rubber cups" had deteriorated, lots of rubber bits/particles had caused the cylinder to jam on the return stroke. Have to really check out rebuilt ones in the future, in the meantime, I'll get "Made in the USA" kits and rebuild the master and other spares I have just to make sure.
    Lastly, just as info, when I called Memphis regarding possible faults in the Booster Assembly, a "Rick" at the Main Office in Tenn suggested using ATF Transmission Fluid as the lube versus what the manual states.

Regards
Tom B....