{MV] MUTT problems

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 07:00:05 PDT

List,
I'm having serious starting problems with a MUTT I purchased it from Bruce,
who
had posted to the list and got responses regarding his starting problems. I
reviewed the responses and checked items noted. Bruce's problem was hard
starting, my problem is no start. When we got the MUTT in, we ran a
compression test and discovered a low reading (it did have a constant miss on
one cylinder). Investigation revealed that there was no clearance on one
valve gap setting and that valve was burned. We did the valve replacement and
installed all new gaskets. No start. We tow started it and it was breaking up
serious, so we replaced the whole distributor and it started and ran perfect,
till we shut it off, left it sit a while and then tried to restart it. No
start. Weak, yellow spark. Took the distributor out of my real good starting
MUTT and installed it. No start. Put the original distributor back in and ran
a wire from the positive 24 volt terminal on the battery to the distributor.
We then got a weak, but blue spark and still no start. A vacuum test showed
we had right vacuum. I put my volt meter to the wire than comes out of the
harness and screws on to the distributor and had my helper hit he starter.
Voltage dropped from 24 to about 19. Any advice will certainly be
appreciated. I'm suspecting the starter is drawing too many amps.
Thanks,
Joe Young