Re: [MV] 28V generator

From: Rusty Schwarz (rusty@castle.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 17:07:15 PDT

To all who expressed interest in converting a military 1.5 KW, 28 VDC
generator to 12 VDC; let me first say that I acquired this information several
months ago, but haven't yet had the opportunity to test it - (so if you toast
your genny, don't yell at me)!

That said, the mod applies specifically to model DC-1.5-MD/28V, FSN
6115-906-3686, (although I suspect the theory, that of reducing the field
voltage, may apply to other sets as well). So, if TM 5-6115-323-15 applies to
your generator set, read on.

1. Remove cover.
2. Locate voltage regulator terminal #1 screw.
3. Connect a ring terminal and wire to VR #1 screw.
4. Locate E6 terminal and solder a wire to E6. E6 is located UNDER the
voltage regulator. Figure 18 in the TM gives a picture of the voltage
regulator and it's easier to see where these wires go...
5. Mount a SPST switch to side plate of box.
6. Run the wire from VR1 to switch
7. Run the wire from E6 to switch

Operation Theory

The SPST switch bypasses the resistor between E6 and VR1 and supplies 12 Volts
when the switch is "on".

When the switch is "off", the unit is returned to the original configuration
and supplies 28 volts.

There is some question if halving the voltage doubles the amperage available
from the 1500 watt genset. It is my opinion that it does not, and that only
about 50 amps should be expected from the generator. Still, 50 amps is plenty
to keep a small TV and the beer chiller going....

Thanks go out to Emmett Thompson and Tom Madden for sending me this info. If
anyone tries it, please let the group know the results!

Regards,

Rusty