protocol / '39 Ford Panel-QM Regt

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 07:26:16 PDT

Does anyone know the usual protocol for
equipment (in this case it would've been nearly
new) that is no longer needed by a particular unit? Wouldn't another
unit get first crack at it?
  The 115th QM Regt disbanded in early 1942,
leaving my poor old panel without an owner.
  We were sure that the Japanese were going
to attack the West Coast, so many National Guard units were sent to
guard various installations. As the weeks and months wore on, these
N.G. people were sent mostly to Pacific Theater combat areas.
  The State Guard took over many of these protective functions as the
N.G. units left.
  Did the State Guard use "abandoned" N.G.
equipment or get their own?
  With a material shortage early in the war, wouldn't it make sense that
they used older
equipment?
  I just quickly read a book called THE HISTORY OF THE STATE GUARD.
That
would be WWII era California.
  In it there's a picture of a "State Guard" storage yard with what
looks to be hundreds
of new-looking military vehcles. Mostly IHC
(early C.O.E.s!) from what I can see.
  My question is therefore: Should I expect to find evidence of usage of
my panel by the State
Guard (the insignia is a poppy inside a diamond) or did this vehicle sit
the war out?
  How do you think the 223d Inf. came to get it?
  Co.A of the 115th QM was based in Northern
Calfornia and the 223d is from Southern California.
  I know this panel spent time at the US Navy
(Todd Shipyards) in LA Harbor, but with what unit?
  How many Centipedes in a Barnheighth?
Trying to flesh this out...
Thanks, Don