WC53 Carryall Restoration Entry #85

From: Chris (cdavis@webworldinc.com)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 10:56:47 PDT

No work got done Friday night. My five year old was doing flips on the bed
(which he isn't supposed to do) under rotated and came down on his head. A
trip to the emergency room was required, which we didn't back from until 1
am. (He's ok, by the way, just has a really sore neck and multiple x rays
to make sure it wasn't more than that.)

Saturday I hooked the fuel line up and got a gasoline shower in the
process. The fitting just wouldn't thread right. After cleaning up from
that I got the windshield out, stripped it, primed it, and painted
it. While prime and paint were drying I put some interior panels and trim
in.

I put the new window molding on the windshield and Deryk was good enough to
stop by and help me put it in. It didn't fit well, but we persuaded
it. Then I moved on to the middle window on the driver's side. I had to
strip the frame, then take it apart to put new glass in it. As I was
starting in on this disassembly, I looked up to see the passenger side of
my windshield had grown a crack! It ran horizontally., starting at the
outside edge and growing as I watched through the center.

I finished disassembly, priming, and painting of the middle window frame
and went back inside in disgust. I cleaned up and went to Home Depot to
pick up a couple things I needed. Got home and ate a late dinner, then
went back out to the garage, calmed down enough not to do anything dumb.

I pulled the windshield back out, and tried to remove the screws that hold
the two halves together. They were not very cooperative. I stopped and
hunted up the manuals to see exactly how the assembly went together. I
couldn't find anything on the windshield. (Side windows yes, windshield, no.)

Fortunately I have a rusted out windshield from one of the Carryalls I
sold. I lit into that and after drilling out several of the screws and
hitting it hard with a hammer a few times I was able to see how the top
half separates from the bottom half.

I went back to the good frame and got all but one of the required screws
out. This one had to be drilled. To separate the two halves, I used WD40,
strategic screwdriver prying, and even the rubber headed mallet, but the
thing is barely moving. I really don't want to break the other side of it,
any suggestions? Help!

I put the bumperettes and tail light brackets back on between windshield
separation attempts, and got the wood window surrounds re-attached with new
screws. Then called it a night.

Any suggestions for getting the windshield apart?

Chris Davis
MVPA #20000
Lake Forest, CA
'42 WC53 Carryall