Re: [MV] GM 6.2 liter diesel question

From: mbstartech@juno.com
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 18:40:55 PDT

Timing is ever-so important to a diesel engine. As the engine ages, the
timing tends to retard, usually caused by the stretching of the timing
chain. If the timing is only 4-6 degrees retarded, just set it. If it
is retarded further, you need to check the condition of timing
chain/gears. Chances are, they will need replacing. Be sure all glow
plugs are operating, and be aware that any older diesel will tend to run
rough, and smoke, when started cold. This will be worse as the weather
gets colder. Once the engine is at operating temp, there should be very
little smoke, mostly black, seen on acceleration. If there is blue
smoke, along with a rough running engine at idle, chances are that the
pump timing is retarded. 4 degrees retarded is enough to cause
smoking/rough running at operating temp.

E.J.

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 13:04:18 -0700 "chance wolf" <timberwolf@wheeldog.net>
writes:

> [...]
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!