M37 Getting the beast home

From: Jeffrey cerniglia (jcerniglia@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 09:30:05 PDT

Hello,
         I checked into the price of the new gears for my M37 again
and I also priced out new bearings, shims, etc.. I figure I might
as well do it right since it will be all apart. I came up with about
$700.00 for just the parts, so with labor my guess is around $1,500
to have mine done. I asked about your M38A1 but he does not do them,
just M37 and the other 3/4 ton M series trucks. Oh and his price to
do my truck is now $1,800, he was only talking about parts when he quoted
$500.
      Well my truck is home now but it was a task and a half to get it
home. It went like this... My dad and I Started off at 5:30 Am last Saturday
and rented a Car trailer from Superior rental in Southington. Finally got on
the road at 7:30, destination Haverhill Mass (148 miles). No problems on the
way up at all, borrowed Johns 99 Ford Expedition to haul it. Arrived at the
guys house in Haverhill at 10:15, loaded up the
truck with no problems, chained and straped the truck down and left to
come home at about 11:30. Took 95 South to pick up the Mass pike 90 east.
We were driving down 95 south, the truck pulling it fine when BANG!!!
a trailer tire blew out and shredded to pieces. Limped off the highway
(exit 27 Wrentham) and pulled into a shell station. I tried to call AAA
and get somone to come out with a tire but no one offered this service
except big truck roadside service and that would of been $300-$400.
So there wa a guy getting gas that offered to help us, he drove home
got his floor jack and tire iron, came back and jacked the trailer after
we removed all the chains and backed the truck off, he removed the tire
at his insistance, drove me to a tire store, I bought a tire and the
tire guy said the reason it blew was because it was an automotive 4 ply
tire and showed signs of dry rott, the tire I bought was the correct 6 ply
trailer tire that should of been on there!! The guy (Tom) drove me
back to the trailer, again at his insistance put the tire back on and
we were then all set to get on our way again after we loaded the truck
back up. Then Tom said for us to take his jack and tire iron with us in
case we ran into trouble again since he plays on a regional baseball
team and would be in New Britain in September and would look me up to
get it. He also does siding, windows, and roofing and is going to give
me an estimate on windows!!!

        We grabbed a quick bite from the gas station and on our way out to
the truck there was a guy checking out the truck, it was the president of
the California chapter of the MVPA (Karl) don't have his
full name since Pam washed my pants and his Email along with Tom's is
gone but at least Tom has my name and adress. Anyway Karl was out here
in Mass to go to school for a week (what are the chances to meet like that?)

        Ok, back on 95 South, got on the Mass pike and stopped at each
rest stop to check the tires. The tire we replaced was just warm, the rest
were so hot you couldnt touch them!! We waited at each stop for about a half
hour until the tires cooled down then we would start again
and repeat at each rest stop on the pike. We made it to 84 in Connecticut
and stopped at the first rest area, this time when we checked the tires the
Pass side fron tire looked like a wire brush on
the sidewalls with the tire ready to come apart. We then decided to
try and drive the truck the rest of the way and get off the highway and
take back roads home. Well, unloaded the truck again, started off with
my dad following in the Expedition, got about a tenth of a mile down 84
and the truck started bucking violently when I reached say 45 MPH!
Pulled over, it idled fine, started off again, it started bucking again
but this time stalled and I coasted to the side of the road, where it
would not start at all!!
         By now I was ready to scream!!! but after a bit I cooled down,
was hard to do as it was about 95 out that day and humid (contributed to the
tire failure) Called AAA and they came out to flatbed the truck home. As
they were scooping the truck up and the truck was put on an incline, Gas
started pouring out of the top of the gas tank as I had
filled it up in Haverhill in case I had to drive it home. We left about
10 gallons of gas on the side of the highway but it was washed away as
it started to pour from a passing downpour. The drive home from there was
uneventful!! Total time to get the truck home 16 hours, got in the door at
my house at 9:40 PM.
        The rental place refunded my rental fee and also reimbursed
me for the tire I had to buy. The lesson learned is to really examine
the tires of any trailer you rent or any other over the road rental!!
        The truck is running again as I have narrowed it down to the
fuel pump needing to be rebuilt and possible junk in the gas tank.
Hope you are having a good holliday week, and Pam and I want to wish
everyone a safe and happy 4th!!

Jeff and Pam