Re: [MV] Help with Mutt aka m151a2

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 09:16:52 PDT

OK Guys, class is now in session.

    First an alternator in be it military or civilian requires battery power
to create a magnetic field ( This is because it dosen't have permanent
(real) magnets like the old Generator does An ) for the armature (that's the
rotating piece) to use and create AC current which the silicon diodes
convert to Direct Current before it exits said wondrous
mechanical/electrical device as DC voltage/amperage controlled by the
voltage regulator which is like a traffic Cop keeping a watchful eye on all
the flowing electrons (traffic) moving safely without
overcharging/undercharging you batteries and keeping the voltage at a safe
level to boot.

    OK?

    Everything else being right with your installation if you don't have
another MV to slave cable up to which would be the ideal solution get your
old Sears and Roebucks battery charger out and first disconnect the jumper
cable between both batteries and charge each battery for one hour each then
disconnect the charger and hook up the jumper between the batteries and if
your real lucky it will start. If it doesn't start due to low batteries NOW
you can tow/bump start it and it will have power to do a couple of itty
bitty things it didn't do before. Make a spark at the plugs as the coil says
"HEY!! Where this juice come from??" And after the engine coughs spits
grumbles and scares the hell out of ya by actually revving up and making
appropriate < OK!! I'm running > engine noises. the alternator will (GOD
WILLING) start to charge the batteries when the RPM is high enough for the
battery generated field excite the alternator enough so it decides to go to
work seeing as it IS being excited start to self excite itself (Ain't ya
glad it takes Women to do that to US?) at which point it starts to deliver
VOLTAGE/AMPS to the battery discernable by the voltmeter on the dash rising
to hopefully the correct values.

    BIG TIP!!!!

    All HMV owners should realize the voltmeter on the dash is not
completely accurate. To determine accurate voltage of a charging system use
a proper rated multimeter as the dash mounted voltmeter can vary as much as
10 percent.

    I will now jump into the canyon which my soapbox sits at the edge of.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Shanks
n1vbn@bit-net.com