Vehicle Markings/Import Follies

From: mrsquid_underway@juno.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 21:41:12 PDT

1) My understanding is that one of the nuances of the Texas Motor Vehicle
Code allows you to dispense with license plates provided you have a
unique set of military markings on the vehicle that are reasonably
consistent with original markings! Of course Maryland being Maryland I
understand why the NG has an attitude.

2) If you're going to try to get the import strictures relaxed it might
be good to play on the "1,000 WW2 vets are dying every day"...or
something to that effect, even if you want to import a MUTT. Very few
aparatchiks know the nuances of MVs...and their first response is usually
the path of least resistance..in this case: NO. So tug at the
heartstrings a little, especially if you are writing to a political
appointee of the current Administration. It also couldn't hurt to be a
member of a museum or historical society so you could claim at least some
semblance of historical preservation and/or education in your plea.

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!