Re: [MV] M35A2 Guru's ... questions

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 19:42:54 PDT

> 6) Get a Budd impact socket for the wheels

That's socket-s as on two, one hex and one square. A mechanic freind has
tried the combo sockets and says that he does not like them. As memory
serves the two that you need are a 1-1/2 hex (deep) and a 15/16 square but
verify before you go buy anything. Of course your also going to need a 3" 8
point axle nut socket as well. All are common from truck type places and
tool companies (Snap-On Mac, etc.).

One other thing I could mention. If you take out the axle shaft, you will
get some oil from the front side of the outer seal but if you take the
axle nuts off to try to get at the outer seal then listen to some advice......

Unless you want to clean one hell of a slimey mess out of the brakes, DO NOT
remove the second nut and let the hub pull out or even drop down. If the
outer seal has failed then the entire hub and bearings will be full of
oil/grease and you will dump all that slimey stuff past that inner seal
and it goes right into and all over the brake shoes. If you need to take
the second nut off or you need to change or get at the seal, have someone
push back on the hub or clamp it somehow. I did it..... once.... what a
mess. Now if your planning to redo or clean the brakes anyway then no matter.

je