Re: [MV] Shopping to replace my Ferret...

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 14:40:48 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <JaxInCalifornia@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Shopping to replace my Ferret...

> In a message dated 08/07/01 00:30:37 Pacific Daylight Time,
> Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk writes:
>
> << FV433, FV434, FV101 (17/21st Lancers replacement vehicle), Ural 357,
KRAZ
> 255B, FV1103/1119, Sd.Kfz 1.38/2, to name but a few.
>

> Excellent choices Richard, would love one of each, maybe two, . . . if I
had
> room and money! However, reality rears it's ugly head and I am forced to
> narrow my choice. Reality can be such a bummer at times!

Been there, was offered a running Cent for 1500 quid, 50 tons is just too
much.

> That 8000 lbs of Ferret was too heavy to pull for any given distances in
> hills (50% hills around here) so the FV's, as much as I would love one,
won't
> work with my present hauling ability. For that purpose I have a good 3/4
> truck with a 25' gooseneck tilt bed trailer, 12,000 lb axles, hydraulic
lift,
> even a winch, but the truck just is not quite big enough for 10,000 lb
pull
> in hills.
>
> So, either it shall have to move efficiently and reliably under it's own
> power or I'll have to tow it and it better be under 6000 lbs, including
> trailer weight of about 1400 lbs.

Hmmmm, various LR's then or early war Morris Commercials and the like. (very
rare, make your own parts).

The much under-rated LR101 is interesting, has its own list/club and many
re-manufactured parts, many of the problem bits are now in stainless.
Chocolate cams and iffy oil pumps are the main failing but easily up-rated,
UJ's work beyond their design angles and are short lived, other Range-Rover
bits fit and the overdrive is popular. Getting scarce and prices rising.

> Would dearly love a Ural 357 or a KRAZ. Could drive those anywhere, no
need
> to tow. Parts may be the red flag! (Pun intended.)

Russian trucks are always durable, and crude. If the truck breaks in its
home environment the crew usually perishes too. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ural 357's are peanuts here, in the land of the $5.76 gallon, the 7 litre
gas engine puts most off. ('Cept me).

The KRAZ (also seen spelt JAAZ, JaAZ, YaAZ and KrAZ) with its diesel is far
more in demand, we couldn't tempt you with a decent 8x8 then; like a MAZ
543, some 36ft long and 9ft 11in wide, nice V12 diesel and only 38,500 lb.

>Not familiar at all with the Sd.Kfz.

A Hetzer, small(ish)(15.8 ton) SP AT gun with limited traverse - 75mm Pak 39
L/48, quite successful in Wehrmacht service, some 700 were still on the
lines at the end in 1945 and were completed as a revenue earner being sold
to the Swiss amongst others.

> Any opinion on a lightweight Rover? Would have to be a pre 75.

A few around but you have to choose carefully, some are real dogs and all
have the rust bucket chassis problem if unattended. Many have been heavily
modified for off-road competition.

> I see some refurbs in the UK with what appears to be excellent prices,
least
> compared to what they sell for here, $8-10k. Prefer diesel and I see they
> have some nice looking models in diesel, but haven't a clue about them
> otherwise, but a Rover would be a snap to tow or drive.

Originally petrol (gas) only, you'd need to research and look carefully.

Richard
Southampton - England