Re: [MV] M35A2

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 05:34:35 PDT

>2. Are the rear and front axle's lockers.

No. I have Detroit lockers in my M715 (that's locker-s as in two, front and
rear) and while they make the truck unstoppable they have there own set of
problems, not sure I'd want them in a deuce, certainly not in the front.

>3. I'll be driving it some in town and around, so how much fun are they in
>traffic.

Well let's see, your eye level is 9 or10 feet in the air, pretty much puts
you above most everyone else. Your big and ugly (to the average person) so
they kind of keep thier distance, especially if you give them a snort of the
engine. Driving around a parking lot can be a good substitute for going to
the gym, I regularly drive mine into town for lunch at a sub shop, take up 4
spaces. I've never had more than about 1-1/2 ton on mine but even with that
I am very satisfied with the brakes, better than any of my old jeeps as far
as pedal effort v.s. stopping ability.

>4. What's the maintenance like on the monster. I've rebuilt motorcycles,
>and older cars (motor, transmission, ect.) before the computer revolution.
>Most of the older cars were easy to work on.

Easy to work on but everything is correspondingly heavier and you'll need to
stock you tool box with larger stuff and a few special tools, all of which
are common items from truck parts stores or tool companies. You get used to
5 gallon oil changes and 8 gallons of gear for all the gear boxes etc.

>5. Are they pretty stable on off camber positions (i.e.. roll over).

I've never done a test but I'd say more stable than any jeep.

>6. What is the ground clearance.

Enough, I can easily crawl under any part of it including directly under the
axles, for many things you can sit upright on the ground and stick you head
up into the frame to work on stuff.

>7. Is there a chance of other tires fitting the rims rather than the OEM.

Tires are about the least of your problems, but the stock NDT's are going to
be the cheapest by far. I got 9 mounted take off spares, most with stickers
still on them, for $35 each. It would cost you that much just to have a
truck tire place mount a tire! You'll want to pick up a 3/4" ( or 1")
impact wrench which makes tire changes much easier and quicker.

>And finally, any other information anyone could give me on these knarley
>vehicles. I've always wanted one and now have a chance to purchase one!

I never planned on having one but then a deal came along and well.... the
rest is history. Actually, I needed a truck to transport my Mule in, so....
This is my official Mule Transporter now.

Jump in, the waters great, the 2-1/2 ton water that is.

je