Re: [MV] M35A2 - UK regulations

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 11:44:39 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Warne" <CWarne@arrowuk.com>
Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 2:36 PM
Subject: [MV] M35A2 - UK regulations

> I'm UK based and am actively looking for a 'late' (70's) M35A2, so this is
> probably more relevant to UK based listers. How much would I expect to pay
> for a good example, complete with top bows, canvas etc.. that is more or
> less ready to go?

Late 70's means you cannot have a "Historic Vehicle" free tax disc, with
this all the weights and regulations fall into grey areas between all the
stools.

> The other question is license validity for UK use. On a standard UK
> car license (got mine in '83 before the new regulations) you can drive
upto
> 7.5 tons which, I believe, the M35A2 is within,

That's 7.5 tonnes (metric ones) FULLY laden, the truck alone must be
therefore quite light.

>but I understand there's a
> width limit of 90 inches (7' 6") - the M35A2 is quoted as being 96 inches
> wide. Does this mean I need a HGV Class3 (or whatever it's called now)
> license to use a M35A2 on the public highway.

The standard limit is 2.52m/98.3" although the hordes of continental trucks
here are 2.62m.

You are in severe danger of having to meet truck plating requirements,
commercial road tax (that'll bring tears to your eyes) and a HGV licence.

Richard
Southampton - England