Re: [MV] Wehrmacht paint colours? No big deal.........

From: Larry Mayo (hmayo@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 07:14:42 PDT

jim gilmore wrote:

> >Reputable museums use chemical analysis to match paint, not visual
> >comparison........
>
> Actually, matching these colors is not as hard as we are led to believe
> and an analysis is not really needed in most cases.......

Well, if the colors are still in use today, you don't need to match. All paint
contains
chemical pigments that give it a particualar color. These pigments are effected
by
their exposure to hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen in various ways. Many color
charts
will rate a color for hue, value, etc. AND permanence, meaning how stable the
color is. I wish I could remember who published the article about the Garber,
but
it went into some detail about the pitfalls of paint matching.

> The WW II German colors were mixed to the RAL system. This system is
> still in use today and paint chips and mixes can be obtained to match
> almost all of the wartime paints.

Where do you get these chips? Does the German government maintain this system?

> You must use the number of the color and not the name as some of the
> colors have been renamed (RAL 1001 is no longer called Elfenbein). The only
> color that we did not find a RAL number for is the Yellow. A color chip of
> this was provided by Tom Jenze (probably spelled wrong) and corroborated by
> Charles Clement. Having done much research into this color issue myself,
> the best book on the Wehrmacht colors is one from Czech Republic and
> translated by Mr. Clement.

Several caveats here. If the paint chip is new within the last few years, it's
accurate. If not, it is questionable. A contact who works for a local
engineering
firm told me that they throw out their chip book every three years and get new
ones.
The reason is the same problem with the paint themselves, they begin to change
over time. Colors in any book printed prior to the use of computer color
matching
are printed in inks that are hand mixed by the printer, and are not standard by
any
means. My father was a printer, and I watched him do it. In most cases it is hit
and
miss, and rarely the exact correct color. Two printings of the same book will
often show different colors.

                                                       Larry