[MV] Nice job, Gene....

From: M oparz (moparz@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 00:59:05 PDT

Greetings Gene and other list members.

I want to delurk for a brief minute here. First, I want to publicly thank
Gene Pantano for being a GREAT ambassador of the MV hobby. Way to go,
Gene!!! I especially admire the "dumb answers" as well as the "stupid guess"
comments. (And yes, if you were wondering, I am being VERY sarcastic.)

Something that it would behoove ALL OF US IN THIS HOBBY TO REMEMBER: Each
one of us, at all times that we are in the public eye, are ambassadors of
the hobby. Further, we are (or should damned well be)purportedly doing this
to honour the veterans who served, and made it possible to be a FREE PEOPLE,
with certain inalienable rights...etc. Does this kind of childish name
calling that I have seen lately REALLY honour the veterans who shed their
blood in a noble cause?

Yeah, this pi**ed me off, and here is why. I am Maintenance Officer for a
local CAF wing, and over the years I have met waayyy too many people who
said "I really wanted to join the CAF (or some other group, maybe insert
MVPA here), but I met a guy who was a member and he had nothing but bad
things to say about EVERYBODY else, so I didn't want to join an organization
like that." I really wish that all of you who say crap like this understood
HOW many people those attitudes DRIVE AWAY from this hobby.

It's kind of ironic, here we are, the MVPA, the CAF, and other similar
groups, who are beating the bushes trying to attract new members, and keep
the ones we have... and the current members of a given group are turning
people OFF instead of inducing them to join.

I don't know the history here Gene, between you and Jim Gilmore, and what is
more, I DO NOT CARE! If you don't like or respect the guy, keep your mouth
SHUT and sit on your typing fingers. And, let me say here, that if/when I
meet you in person, I'll say the same thing. I am not hiding behind my
computer keyboard, and the name I sign to my letter is the same one on my
birth certificate. The old adage about "If you can't say something
good/nice..." applys here.

I now return to lurking, and apologize for taking the group's time and
bandwidth...but I really felt that I needed to say this. Interested parties
are invited to continue this conversation with me off-list, email addy is
below.

Best Regards,

Jason Pence
Col CAF