Re: [MV] MB Rivets

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 08:49:08 PDT

John,
I made rivets out of carriage bolts for my jeep. Most of the time you can't see nut anyway.
I used a lathe to first turn down the square under the head of the bolt to a few thou larger than
the hole. Then I turned the head to the proper rivet head diameter and with the bolt turning in the
lathe finish ground the head. To use the rivet bolts seat them in the hole with a tap from a brass
or lead faced hammer then put the nut on and tighten. Or, hold the rivet bolt on place and spin the
nut on with an impact tool.
Regards,
Buzz