Just when you thought you were ready...

From: Brian Leffler (leffield@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 02:21:39 PDT

Listers,

With all of the talk of Beltring, Ft. Lee and parade
season buzzing around and my own recent muscle
enhancing (yeah right!) experience getting ready for a
rally; I am curious to hear about the last minute
unexpected repairs/finishes that others have gone
through to make the deadline for entry/travel/convoy
etc.

For me it was the discovery of a shot pinion bearing
on the center differential of my M211 with only one
working day between that moment and the upcoming
rally. There being no way to get a bearing and get it
correctly enplaced in time, I resorted to completely
swapping the third member assembly with a good on from
a parts truck. Thank heaven for parts trucks. This
is not a job I recommend be done for exercise unless
you are striving for muscle tone in awkward positions.
 I did this job solo with only the help of my trusty
milk crate. I knew the third members were heavy but I
know believe that a GMC thirdmember and axle shaft
paired together outweigh me. It took me all day
Friday but we made the trip Saturday on time (almost)
and with no problems.

And now your stories...

Brian

PS. Thanks to all the list wives for their patience,
flashlight holding, and food brought out to the truck
when we are to greasy and busy to stop and come in to eat.

=====
Two points of Cowboy Wisdom:
Never squat with your spurs on; and
Never miss a good chance to shut up.