FS: M38A1 in Texas (Long description)

From: Jumpmaster (the_real_jumpmaster@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 09:31:29 PDT

Hello everyone...

I thought I had this sold on Ebay several days ago,
but the high bidder decided he didn't want it (see
Tim? You're not the only one whose time gets wasted!
:-) )

So...I'm relisting it on ebay but if any of you guys
are interested, I will sell it to you off of Ebay so
you don't have to play with the auction. If you're
interested, I'm putting some details below my name.
If your buddies have always been after you to sell
your Jeep to them, you might pass my info along to
them.

Price is $5500.00 (negotiable) PLEASE READ THE
DESCRIPTION!! If I could afford to buy an M1009 CUCV
for highway use and keep the M38A1, I would. I think
I'll probably regret this but I need to be able to go
faster than 55MPH (people drive 90MPH on the highways
in Texas)...

Thanks for looking!!

T. Bloxom
(979) 693-8312
http://http.tamu.edu/~tmb9855/m38a1.jpg

-----------------Description------------------------
The original F-134 engine was rebuilt recently and
everything was done to spec. There's about 6000 miles
on the new engine with regular oil changes every 2000
miles. Proper break-in procedures were followed. It
has rotating exhaust valves and hardened valve seats
so you can use unleaded in it (I know, not original
yet necessary since leaded gas is not readily
available). I have only run Super unleaded in this
fine vehicle since the rebuild.

Almost everything under the hood is either NOS or
rebuilt and everything is original. The following
parts are all original, new, or rebuilt:
new (solid state) voltage regulator
rebuilt generator
rebuilt carb
rebuilt ignitor [distributor],
new fuel pump
new clutch (pressure plate, disc, etc),
ignition wires (new),
water pump (NOS)
original oil bath air cleaner
original starter
new brake system (original lines flushed with alcohol
and has (correct) silicon fluid in the system)
solid original radiator
NOS horn
NOS vacuum windshield wiper motors
windshield glass is in good condition
new brake light switch,
NOS fuel filter (in tank)
NOS fuel sending unit
NOS ignition switch
NOS blackout drive light (needs bulb)
NOS light switch assembly

Choke and throttle controls are original and
completely operational. With the Jeep, the successful
high bidder will receive about 4/5 gallon of correct
semi-gloss OD green paint by Gillespie Coatings, Inc.
as sold by RAPCO. Most parts for the restoration were
obtained from Brent Mullins Jeep Parts.

The Jeep has an aftermarket steering stabilizer
(easily removed) and aftermarket lockouts (looks nice,
works well). Original transfer case and transmission
are STRONG! I pulled a full-size F-100 out of some
serious mud with this Jeep. It has been offroad only
very rarely and only for brief periods of time during
my tenure (i.e. short, muddy roads, etc...no
embankments.)

All gauges work properly and the engine runs to
specification with respect to oil pressure (at least
30psi @3000rpm, usually better) and water temperature.
The Jeep sounds excellent and runs extremely well.
Starts on the 2nd or 3rd rotation with choke in cold
weather!

This M38A1 originally saw service in the III Armored
Corps when it was based at Fort Sill (it's now based
at Fort Hood). The serial number is 16###, August
1952. Original 24-volt electrical system works great
and powers the completely operational VRC-53 radio
system. The Jeep also has an R-442 receiver (also
completely operational) installed along with the
correct antennas and mounting assemblies. THE RADIOS
ARE NO LONGER INCLUDED IN THE SALE, however if you
would like to purchase them, they will be available at
additional cost. The reserve on the auction has been
adjusted accordingly.

I have the complete winter enclosure for the Jeep
including top bows, canvas top, side curtains, door
frames, and doors. Has original wheels (including
spare and spare tire bracket) and original 7.00x16
military non-directional tread tires.

These are truly the only additional things the Jeep
would need to be 100%: The front seats need original
cushions (currently has M151 seat cushions -- they
look nice) and it needs a complete rear seat. Front
bumper is not original but looks nice -- it is
probably safer than the original. Has original spare
fuel carrier. Needs trailer plug assembly and front
blackout lights. Also needs minor rust repair in the
typical places -- outboard kick panel areas and
passenger floor board. Driver's floorboard has
very little rust. There is no other significant rust.
 I am an excellent mechanic but am not equipped to do
body work. Also needs marker lights on front.

This is mechanically an extremely nice Jeep. It also
has a good straight and rust-free body aside from the
places stated above. It is "motor-pool" class
which means almost every single thing on the Jeep is
original military and works. It is not a mint,
off-the-assembly-line restoration -- I've seen M38A1's
in that condition go for approximately $11,000 or more
fairly regularly.

I would sincerely like someone that truly appreciates
and respects the vehicle to get it and would prefer
not to sell it to "Bubba" for his deer lease. This
Jeep is located in Texas and has a clear Texas title
("Texas truck" --> cheaper registration)

Thanks for reading...sorry to be so long-winded, but
this is an excellent vehicle and it turns heads every
time I take it out. I will probably regret selling it
and may kick myself later but right now I need a
highway truck.