Latest M-37 tale-o-woe

From: Lehmans (lehmans@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 08:01:38 PDT

Hello list,

Well I got the new starter switch put on and changed the oil, charged
the batteries and felt ready to go....turned the switch to on nothing
moved off the red..
Off/On same thing.

Thought ok let's just press the starter for grins... well the outboard +
battery terminal emitted this loud zorch with smoke effect,,,off the
starter, clean shorts... look at terminal.... yep melted 1/3 of the
post. I did have this connector pull off when I took the charger off..
re-applied and thought I tightened it.

All wires were re-applied to proper connector on the switch.. there are
only two and one don't reach to the far side.

The only thing that is different is the reserve unit that had this
tapped a single lead off the inboard + to power a 12volt heater blower.
This lead I did not re-connect as I intend to remove the blower and a
learned MVer indicated that this arragement could un-balance the
batteries.

I has some popin' last year from the termainals.. cleaned reapplied all
was ok.

1. Could I have left a gap and goo in the space between the post and
terminal to cause it to zorch?

2. Did I cause a short somewhere? (Of course retorical question of
sorts)

2a. If so any hints where??

any hints/suggestions always helpful.

Regards,