Re: [MV] humvee question

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 18:59:24 PDT

Rick,

If you receive a Form 97 (Certificate to Obtain Title to a Vehicle) from the
government you can take it to the local motor vehicles department with your
VIN inspection and they will issue a state title and registration after you
pay the applicable fees. Depending on your state laws you might have to get
a weight certificate and register it as a truck or you might be able to
register it as a 4-door like an SUV. Without the Form 97, you may be in a
bit of a pickle.

A HMMWV won't be nearly as reliable as your normal pursuit vehicle, and the
earlier HMMWV's with the non-overdrive three speed Turbo 400 transmission
are limited to about 55-60 MPH to get a decent engine life.

None of your 12 volt accessories will work without a good voltage converter
and it is not practical to convert the truck to 12 volts. Adding air
conditioning would be problematic as well. They are also quite noisy, so you
might need a headset for effective radio communications.

Of course to be legal you will have to add a lighted rear license plate
bracket and a few other goodies, but I'm sure you already knew that...

This outfit has a nice website that reflects the retail price of a stock
HMMWV: http://www.real4wd.com/hv_vehicles.htm. Private party sales would
likely be a few thousand below their numbers.

Brandon