Re: [MV] Urban legend or not? trenches of parts, long

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 08:50:45 PDT

>From what I've heard, and seen of the the searches at aircraft crash sites,
I would say the the Vietnamese were pretty good scrap metal scavengers.
Aircraft crashsites were actually excavated and 'mined' for the metal to be
found. That is part of why the recoveries of aircrew remains were so
difficult. Little, if anything was ever left of the aircraft.

I would think that the old bases were treated in the same manner, and that
every bit of scrap was recovered and made use of, and every square foot
searched thoroughly for our soldiers' "throw aways". I would have serious
reservations about anything being left at all by now. But, you never can
tell. Stranger things have happened.

John