RE: [MV] Urban legend or not? trenches of parts, long

From: Tony Castagno (tony.castagno@personic.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 09:57:12 PDT

Hey List,

Not as cool as buried vehicles but more recent.... I was a tank platoon
leader during the Gulf War (24th ID (Mech) assigned to 2/4 Cavalry )At the
end of fighting before redeploying back to Saudi from Iraq, we were told to
bury all of our opened ammunition.... .50 cal and 7.62... in long
trenches... we were told that it would cost more to rebox and store the ammo
than to discard it..... since a tank carries 10,000 Linked 7.62 and 1100 .50
cal rounds this was no small waste.... The main gun rounds 120mm Depleted
Uranium Sabot and HEAT were reboxed since the cost for the Sabot rounds was
3000 US dollars a piece (so we were told)..... So be rest assured, combat
waste is still alive and well.....

Tony