M35A2 road trip

From: Chris Stansbury (chris_stansbury@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 19:28:22 PDT

Hello All,
My wife and I had quite the adventure this weekend. We have been planning
on making a trip from Memphis, TN to Jackson, MS for a while to buy a fellow
list member's M35A2. This weekend was it and it was a real trip. We
started out Sat. morning in my CUCV loaded with parts, spares, and assorted
fluids. The deuce was running, but it needed a good bit of work to get it
road worthy. We arrived in Jackson around 11 am and got to work. Money
exchanged hands and then all of a sudden it looked like an episode of
"Junkyard Wars" had broken out. People were running to and fro with armfuls
of deuce parts, working in perfect harmony. I thought I had brought plenty
of parts, but then it turned out that we were short a compressor pulley half
and a radiator. Steve Cunningham was nice enough to loan me some parts off
one of his trucks. All said and done we replaced an alternator, a batt.
box, a pair of 6TLs, part of the clutch linkage, a headlight, the engine
fan, radiator hoses, radiator, turn signal switch, fuel gauge, and the light
switch. After much wrenching and tinkering the beast roared to life and we
took her for a test drive. It was amazing how smooth the ol' truck drove
after being sidelined for all that time. My wife had the pleasure of
driving my CUCV 200 miles back to Memphis while I bounced all the way back
in OD style. One problem was the wiring. I believe I'll be putting in a
new front harness. I didn't have any headlights for the trip back. So,
when it started getting dark I flagged down my wife and retrieved my battery
powered,magnetized flood light from the Blazer. I stuck it to the bumper,
aimed it down the road, and hooked it up. Viola! It worked great for that
hour of dusk driving before we got home. I'd like to thank Jasper Welsch,
Steve Cunningham, Chris Ramsey, and Chuck Kaplan for all their help on
Saturday. I'd like to thank Brent Sutton for loaning me his alt. and
headlight bucket off his truck. Finally, I'd like to thank David Doyle for
all his knowledge and helpful hints along the way. It's a cool truck and
I'll put some photos on the net ASAP. I'll also send in progress reports to
keep y'all in the know.
Sincerely,
Chris Stansbury
Memphis, TN