1941 Chevy FS and two dueces

From: T-Bax (powell15@wir.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 09:55:09 PDT

I just got back from visiting relatives in Idaho where I found a 1941 Chevy
where my brother works. The current owner is very motivated to sell it to
make room for his hanger expansion. I looked at it and it's mostly complete
but is missing the bed. I saw very little rust on it. It's still green and
the hood numbers along with the truck's nickname is still visible. The data
plate gives a DOD of 01/15/41. The current owner says it runs (but it does
smoke some) and he's driven it around the airport where it's parked. He
also has a clear title for it. The catch is it's part of a package deal
consisting of the cab of another Chevy that's sitting on the rear of this
one and a 1946 Chevy he bought some time ago for parts. I did get a few
pictures these trucks and will E-mail them to anybody who's interested. I
can also provide the owner's name and PX number for more info. The owner
really tried to sell them to me but they're more of a project than I can
handle right now. Oh yeah, these trucks are located in Jerome ID (about 10
miles North of Twin Falls) and the owner is asking $2000.00 for them.

On another note, I just found a couple deuces I'm taking a serious look at.
They must be purchased together. One has a DOD of 02/53 but I didn't feel
like fighting a sprinkler to look at the data plate on the second one. The
owner says the first one starts and drives great (neither one of us had time
today to dig out two batteries to start it). It's still 24 volt. It's an
ex-fire department truck that looks like it received good maintenance (the
current owner told me the FD housed it in garage. It has the original bed
on it and has very few extra holes in it. It also has an assortment of NDT's
and civilian tires on it (it even has a spare). The second deuce is missing
the bed and tranny (it went into the first deuce when it gave out). It was
purchased as a parts truck for the first deuce but looks complete otherwise.
Are there any major weaknesses (besides age) for this year of deuce that I
need to be aware of? I just plan on playing with it and not working it. Is
$2500 a good deal for these?

Thanks,

Tim