Re: [MV] MILITARY AC UNIT

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:47:40 PDT

Hi J. D. ...

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:18:54 -0700 (PDT), J. D. Bowen wrote:

>Anyone on the list have any idea of the cooling
>capability of the mobile AC system described below. A
>church group is looking for a unit to cool a large
>tent during building construction. From the photo
>this looks to be a large capacity unit, purpose built
>on a four wheel, tongue steered trailer chassis.

>TRAILER MOUNTED AIR CONDITIONER SN B1B100-030. DETROIT
>DIESEL ENGINE 6V92TA"

I'm not sure if this is the same unit, but here's a link to the PDF of
the TECHNICAL MANUAL, OPERATOR'S, UNIT AND DIRECT SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
MANUAL (INCLUDING REPAIR PARTS AND SPECIAL TOOLS LIST) AIR
CONDITIONER: TRAILER-MOUNTED, GENERATOR-SET-POWERED, 18,000 BTU/HR
(NSN 4120-00-930-5700):

  https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/data/A/068752.pdf

If that's your unit, then it is 18,000 BTU/HR. Another way to
describe this capacity is 1 1/2 tons of air conditioning (a ton being
12,000 BTU). This unit is like 4 of the large 5,000 BTU window units.

I'm not sure if this would be big enough or not for your tent. You
could check Consumer Reports' interactive air conditioning worksheet
at the link below:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detail.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=85365&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=21135&bmUID=995398984542

Good luck!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 Military CUCV Suburban 6.2 Liter Turbo-Diesel Engine 3/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 Cubic Inch Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See them at: http://www.CUCV.net