Re: [MV] Urban legends-buried equipment

From: Jason E. Rose (m151a2@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 08:38:41 PDT

There is a bombing range callled Sailor Creek Bombing range here in Idaho.
My father used to have the contract for providing diesel fuel and gasoline
for the tractors, trucks, firetrucks, and etc out there. I went with him
several times to replenish the fuel supply.

When I became interested in m151's, it was a very hard trip to make. The
operations manager knew I was interested in m151's, and he took me to the
range while it was closed to view some of the hulks. On one corner of the
restricted area was a trench about 200 yards long and about 10 feet deep.
They drove m151's in the trenches and then buried them there.

They were first instructed to blow them up, but since they were soft-skinned
vehicles, they made quite a mess for the workers to clean up when they were
hit with a bomb. The guys didn't like cleaning up the 100's of pieces of
sheet metal, and they would just bury them in a trench rather than clean
them up. However, they had a gunnery range were apaches would shoot m151's
with the 30mm cannon. They 30mm didn't do the damage like the 500 lb bombs.

Jason