RE: [MV] Urban legends-buried equipment

From: Tony Castagno (tony.castagno@personic.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 10:49:26 PDT

On the Environmentalist Note.....

When we were at Aberdeen a couple of years ago, they were showing us their
restoration facility and explaining about the lack of funding.... but the
funding they have was ingeniously secured by pointing out to the EPA that
all of the vehicles sitting out all over APG were leaking oil, gasoline etc
and leaching lead from flaking paint into the soil... Well I guess this set
off some bells in Washington because funding came through to perform the
cosmetic restoration we observed and sparked the effort to "house" the
vehicles under cover... my understanding is that the funding for that effort
(the building) is mostly being privately funded, but at least the APG museum
got a great restoration facility... They use water pressure to strip off
paint, rust and whatever off the vehicles... I think they said the system
can put out 40,000 psi so high that they need chillers to keep the water
cool.....

Cheers,
Tony