Re: [MV] M715 {politically correct) re-power

From: Jim Allen (jimallen@onlinecol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:11:24 PDT

Sarge,

    IMHO, you are overstating the problems with the Tornado (why do I utter
such blasphemy? - I was a GI when they were still in service, plus have lots
of other evidence from my Jeep research) but I understand your reluctance
and will forgive you. Yes, I like the Tornado, what can I say!
    As to your question, AMC tried to interest the Army in an updated
version of the M-715 (called the the AM-715) and it was powered by the AMC
232ci inline six. AMC (AM General to be exact) later went on to market the
truck overseas for a few years in the 1970s. You could take that a step
farther and put in a 258ci AMC six, an engine with as good a reputation as
the Tornado's was bad (with the exception of the notorious Carter BBD
feedback carb on the later 258ci units - early 1980s- easy to swap with an
earlier manifold and carb).
    Another alternative wold be to go diesel. A GM 6.2L diesel, perhaps from
a surplus CUCV, complete with all the 24V stuff, would bolt-in in place of
the 350ci. It would need a bigger radiator, possibly,and some pkumbing
changes to accommodate the diesel, but you could usesome or all the GI CUCV
stuff from the donor and make it look GI original. I have seen a couple of
these conversions and the owners report much better mileage and power. They
were able to go to taller gears (4.10s in one case, 4.56 in the other) to
replace the 5.89:1 ratios for better road performance and fuel economy (mid
to high teens).
    Thanks for your continued military service!

    Jim Allen

--

---------- >From: SLYGTI@webtv.net >To: jimallen@onlinecol.com >Subject: [MV] M715 {politically correct) re-power >Date: Thu, Jul 19, 2001, 4:45 PM >