Re: [MV] M715 {politically correct) re-power

From: mark fisher (fishmeok@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 12:38:48 PDT

> Run this engine for a couple years now and never had problem. I run this
at> 70 mph down highway (900 X 20 tires) for 50 miles one way and then 100
miles> to Iola military show pulling a 1.5 ton trailer at 60 mph.

How on Earth did you get a 715 to go 70 MPH? I drove mine (Stock, 30K miles,
good compression, etc) from Seattle to Michigan one February and the best it
would do was 60 on level ground- 30 MPH going up the passes... I think the
limiting factor there isn't so much the engine power as the T-case and
diffs-
I made it all the way to Lansing, MI with no major probs (except the front
diff forward pinion bearing grenading in South Haven, MI- but that's what
axle caps are for) and for a few months commuted 120 miles (work and back)
with it. Then I sold it, and two years later bought it back...
I have owned a few Tornados (military and civilian) and have found them to
be generally reliable, although lacking in power when used fully loaded
(particularly in the mountains). There are several very easy alternatives to
the original drivetrain. I bought a set of adapters for less than $100 and
mounted a 350/SM465 in mine with no welding, using the original mounts, etc.
I also purchased a set of super swampers on M715 rims and mounted those (I
still have four 715 rims with NDT's mounted if anyone needs some- fair
condition). I have driven in winter on NDT's and don't want to do it again,
at least not in a city (I live in Minneapolis). My truck can easily be
converted back to stock if ever becomes worthwhile. I kind of had to move in
the middle of the conversion though, so it's sitting in the garage waiting
for me to come finish it...
There is a lot of good info at The M715 Zone on Yahoo! Clubs- Almost every
conceivable engine has been put in a 715 at one time or another.
Cheers
Mark