Re: [MV] you'll be sorry...was: 715-230 engine replacement

From: Cougarjack@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 10:06:14 PDT

In a message dated Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:56:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Todd Paisley" <paisley@erols.com> writes:
> You are the first person I have come
> across who was so adamantly against it. (the M-715)

Todd,
likewise...I never knew the M715 had a cult following. I figured that everyone knew it was junk and kept away from them. If you had expressed feelings for it in front of 60's army maintenance types, the room would have politely cleared. There are also people who will argue with you til you're blue in the face about what a great weapon the M-16 is, but when it was introduced,it was another GI misadventure. The bayonet was the most dangerous part of it. I saw guys break them in half, trade them for shotguns, and toss them into ditches in a red rage when they wouldn't fire. The gun would get tied up so you couldn't fire it, couldn't open it, and couldn't get a round chambered. Then it would go off all by itself while it was standing in the corner. If you were forced to carry an M16, you didn't dare carry in in an M715. LOL!
I'm glad there are no hard feelings, but you had to be there. Just because it was 35 and some odd years ago, doesn't mean it was invalid experience. Old horses know valuable stuff too, you know. We had the kind of vision that comes from time in the trenches, and we were right about this beast. I'm glad you guys have developed workarounds for the problems. I can picture the Jeep engineers slapping their heads and saying..."Wow, we could have had a V-8!"

Regards,
Jack