Repro Jeep Tub Prep Work

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 05:17:01 PDT

Howdy list,
        Ok before y'all blast me for getting a repro tub, my old tub is like a
patchwork quilt built out of jeep panels... repro rear panel, replacement
corners & sides, couple of layers on the floor, hat channels rusted thru,
you get the picture. I'll keep the tub in the warehouse in case I ever
learn to weld.
        I bought the new jeep tub from Richard Grace last year, but had to put it
in storage while I built my garage... but NOW IT'S DONE & I brought the tub
home!
        So the big question is...Do I drill all the accessory holes now or after I
paint it? Good part of now is the holes will all have paint on the lip
edges. Good part of later is I can go ahead & mount the parts off the old
tub right after I drill the holes... that also allows me to test fit the
hole locations before I drill. I'm leaning toward drilling later so I can
be sure about the hole locations. I'd just have to slather some paint
around the edges of the hole to cover the bare metal.
        For hole locations, I've got my current jeep tub, a "original" parts jeep
with rusty but basically intact tub (at least for hole locations) that was
built 1 week later, and the "jeepdraw" drawings. I thought I'd check all
three with the parts jeep locations weighing heavily for locations.
        I've also got the repro wiring harness that I bought & will install that
before mounting the tub. Anything else anyone would recommend before
installation of the tub? Fuel lines? Gauges? Cables, etc from Gauges?
        Anything to guard against / watch for when putting on the tub? I remember
one lister who recommended cross bracing if lifting using the side & corner
handles. Seems the walls bend inward.

Thanks,
Brian Mead