CCKW resto update, larger profile tyres

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 15:55:45 PDT

Greetings,
                If I was to put larger profile tyres on my CCKW, would that be a practical
way
to increase road speed..ie 8.25 or 9.00 # 20, these were fitted to various
other
similar vehicles..yhe GMC has 7.50 # 20.

I have reached 140 hrs into my planned 300hr resto. The body is completely
off.
Today it will be dismantled, then blasted and new metal welded in.

I also rebuilt the water pump...the spindle bearing shaft was longer than
the original,
and i had to grind it 1/2 inch shorter.seems to hold water

the driveshafts are out and painted, some unis to be replaced

engine is very smooth now, there was a dud sparkplug.

i estimate 55 hrs till it is reassembled, with body panels repaired and
painted.

that will leave mainly electrical work and cosmetic issues to attend,
apart from the rear brakes.

I found out my Carter W1 carbie is off a Staghound Armoured car, apparently.

                        regards tony

ps . found out about another CCKW for sale, this one has a crane on back,
price is about $2500, will look soon...but my partner and myself did
actually buy a crane at auction recently for $700...it turned out to
be a good buy, as it is fully operational..i have been told it
has "a new Perkins 354 in it"...this drives an engine driven pump
off the front crank pulley, and a two stage boom, that elevates to 40 foot
it is rated seven tonnes, and is mounted on a Bedford 3 tonne truck.
I know this is not a military vehicle, but does someone know where the
ID data is on a Perkins 354..i could not find it...i was not helped by the
fact
that it appears the COE cab is a replcement, and does not tilt!
neccesitating its removal i presume before major engine work.