Re: [MV] Deuce towing trailer. Rating for tongue weight and pull??

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 16:35:23 PDT

Typically you should have at least 15% of the towed weight on the tongue.
I'd try and put more like 20% on the tongue if you can do it without the
front end of the truck getting light. The more weight you put on the tongue
the better for the stability of the trailer - but you don't want to put so
much weight on the tongue that the towing vehicle becomes unstable. It's a
balancing act. That's why goosenecks and fifth wheels are so nice, the more
weight you put on the hitch, the more stable the towing vehicle becomes. I
think you will run out of HP before you run out of towing weight capacity
with the M35.

For example: My 1 ton Chevy dually truck can easily pull a flat tow weight of
8,000 lbs without problems or load equalizers. (Spring bars) I've towed
30K lb with the same truck with a gooseneck trailer. You can bet that the
M35 can tow it's own weight on the proper tag trailer but you had better not
run into any severe hills and expect to go fast. Also make sure the trailer
brakes work well.

Dave