Cracked block and Strating Problems

From: aussierob (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 11:01:58 PDT

Glenn Hello:
I posted a reply about 6 hours ago and it has not appeared on the list???
Since then I read you compression test readings.

My experience is that low compression (bad valve or rings) in an engine
will normaly not start "too easily" unless you tend to give it a lot of
extra gas.
However, that aside here again, is my 2 cents worth that I posted this
morning.

 I should have used the
 mil-veh@skylee.com address.

The posted address never seems to work for hours or even days before the
postings appear??? Funny eh !

I once had the same problem and it turned out to be a blocked main jet. I
had just put this carb onto the engine and it drove well for a month. Then
suddenly only a virtual full choke would allow the engine to run poorly.
The culprit was a small piece of rubber hose that I used as the fuel line.
This haos was a tight fit onto the 1/4" metal pipe that came off the pump to
the carb. I used a small pipe cutter to trim off the pmeatl pipe. This
action caused an extrememly sharp edge to the steel pipe. Ehen I pushed the
rubber fuel line onto the pipe ...the sharp edge cut into the rubber
allowing small pieces to travel into the bowl and eventually block the main
jet

I did get home and I didi know I had too little fuel, hence the choke
position. But, what a surprise when I found the problem and it's source
Have fun with it ... just my 2 cents worth.
Aussie Rob