underpowered m109 shop van

From: JVanVonderen@foth.com
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 13:16:42 PDT

i've got a question for the ol' timers out there. i have an m109 shop van
with the gas engine
in it. do any of you remember what the cruising speed was for the gas
engine. i drive the diesel
m35's for the wis. nat. guard and they cruise out at about 50 to 55 mph
fully loaded. my shop van empty
will barely make 30 to 35 mph on the flat and this with the engine
screaming bloody murder. hills are
20 mph tops (in sec. gear too) and we're not talking mt. everest here. is
this normal for the 6 cyl. continnental
gas engine or do i have bigger problems lurking somewhere. it starts and
runs great but if i'm going to use
this truck i'm gonna have to swap the engine out with something else. i
don't want to go 90 mph with it,
i just want to get about 50 to 55 mph and that's good enough for me. i
know the gas engine is not as powerful
as the diesel but i didn't think the differance would be this much. i have
the transfer case in high range and
the parking brake in not on. i've checked and i'm not dragging any brakes
either.
another question: is the transfer case bolted directly to the transmission
or
is it divorced and connected by a short drive shaft? if it is divorced
then swapping a new engine in would
be a snap, the hardest thing being the welding up of some new engine
mounts, somethin i've helped friends
with on other vehicles. (to the purists out there i wouldn't toss the old
parts but save them to pass onto
the next owner should he want to restore it to original) i eagerly await
the knowledge of the ages. thanks.