deuce won't start. Batteries ok. ?!?!?!?

From: JJ&A (w7ls@blarg.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 19:53:25 PDT

I have looked through all the books I have, to no avail. I cannot find a
wiring diagram to assist me in tracking the problem down. Hopefully,
someone knows what to look at.

    I have a new problem: Deuce won't start. Symptoms: Turn ignition
(?!?!) on, hear buzz, hit starter button, and nothing. While
I'm doing this, I've had a digital voltmeter monitoring the batteries.
Very little dip. Something like 25 volts. I even tried having
the headlights on while trying to start it. Same result. Nice, bright
lights, 25 volts, and no start. I suspect the solenoid. I see
what looks like a huge solenoid on top of the starter. Wires are tight.
I see something else, also looking like a solenoid,
although much smaller, affixed to the engine block. There is a loose
wire affixed to it. What is that? Thanks, gang! Jim