Re: [MVlist] Strange Jeep

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 19:59:21 PDT

Wayne

Those are CJ10A aircraft tugs. Built by AMC, equipped with Nissan SD33
diesel engines and three speed automatic transmissions. They have a
transfer case that is locked in low range, with no shift linkage, with a
straight tube front axle. Weigh 6060 lbs, and with only two wheel drive,
will sit and spin on wet grass. But can turn like you wouldn't believe!

These were few in number in the US, being sold only to the military, only
available as the short wheel based version, and based on an international
model that was sold in limited numbers to Australia. Parts are a posing a
real challenge, as the running gear is unique to this model, and info is
practically non-existant on CJ10's in general.
I have not had any luck finding service manuals on them, and LOGSA has not
even been able to come with any TM numbers for them.

The one that I have, will run about 25 mph wide open throttle. It is
definitely a unique little creature, but fun. Mine is destined to have a
frame lengthened or replaced to make it a bit more practical.

BTW, if anyone has ANY type of information on these little beasts,
particularly some TM's, I'd be interested in hearing from you.

John Doherty
Henagar, AL