Re: [MV] deuce won't start. Batteries ok. ?!?!?!?

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 05:39:54 PDT

Jim,
When you flip the accessory switch on in the cab, to the gauges come to life?
If so, accessory switch OK.

The push to start switch could have failed. It is relatively easy to jump.

You mention a "loose" wire on the solenoid on the block...if "loose" means
not or poorly attached, then this is your problem, if "loose" means the cable
is not under tension that is another matter.

This (the block) solenoid receives a low amperage signal from the switch in
the cab, closing contacts which apply a higher amperage signal to solenoid on
starter, which activates it and starts engine.

For what its worth, although not recommended, in an emergency this solenoid
can be bypassed and the cab push to start switch hooked direct to the starter
solenoid. This overloads that cab switch and could cause it to fail,
resulting in the starter staying engaged.

I discovered this (actually Jeff at Tactical Truck discovered it) when one of
my trucks had this switch fail. Uncle Sam had REMOVED the block solenoid
before sending it to DRMO, where I bought it and drove it for a couple years
(it wasn't broke, so I never did more than check fluids!), until the switch
finally gave up the ghost.

Hope this helps,
David